Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Review: 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli Medium Satchel

Bag: 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli Medium Satchel (currently available at Barney's, Saks, and Otte NY)
Outfit: details here

I've been admiring the Pashli since I first noticed photos of it popping up at various Fashion Weeks about a year ago (although it was introduced in 2011). The original Pashli stole my heart, but with dimensions of 11"H x 15"L x 4"D, it wasn't meant to be for this petite lady. After seeing a great review from Elle, I decided the weight, size, and lack of a shoulder strap would ultimately discourage me from making it an everyday bag, which I what I wanted. The mini size, albeit adorable, also didn't fit with the "everyday bag" objective, so that was ruled out, too.

Not too long after, I saw this blog post that indicated there would be a new, intermediate-sized Pashli Medium introduced for S/S 2013. When Saks had one in black available for pre-order earlier this year, I immediately jumped on it.

The first thing that caught my eye when opening the box was the gorgeous texture on the leather. It's embossed with a sharkskin pattern, which makes it both visually interesting and fairly scratch-resistant (big pluses in my book). The dimensions are 10"H x 12"L x 4"D; with the front zippers unzipped, the length increases to about 13.5-14" at the top. There is one big inner compartment and one flat zippered pocket that's 6" long and about 7" high. At 2.6 pounds, it's substantial but not too weighty for extended wear.

The shoulder strap is long, but it's adjustable, and I'm wearing it cross-body on the shortest setting (about 20") in the photo above. I am planning to put a few more holes in it so I can carry it on one shoulder when I feel like it.

I was pleasantly surprised when my laptop fit nicely inside and still left room for all my daily necessities. While I use a Longchamp Planetes for work most days, the Pashli can do double duty on days when I don't have as many files to lug around. I've included a photo below of it on work bag detail.


     

15 comments:

  1. I adore this size and it's on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this bag, I'm so surprised that you manage to fit so much in! Definitely on my wishlist.

    xoxo,
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review on the medium Pashli. This bag looks as it was made for you! Chic and yet functional!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love! That is one beautiful, classic looking bag. No doubt you'll enjoy it for years to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering why the Pashli looked so proportional to your frame in your last post. But the fact that it's the "medium" size totally explains it! It's a good size for petites, but admittedly, I'm still partial to oversized handbags. I think I'll have to take a look at both side by side if I ever make a final decision about purchasing it. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful and classic and i love that it fits your laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi do you happen to know if this size will be available in taupe too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I saw in the summer and pre-fall collections, I don't think so. Summer's colors are black, white, and cobalt/royal blue, if I recall correctly, and it didn't look like there was anything in taupe in the pre-fall or fall images I've seen. It's too bad because taupe is gorgeous!

      Delete
  8. Hi! i was wondering how the bag holds up with it's loaded with items? I'm thinking of getting this bag but am not sure how the crossbody sling might take the weight. Would love to get your opinion on this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just bought this bag myself at Barneys! The size is absolutely perfect for us petite ladies since I agree the OG pashli is way too big for most people (even the SA said I looked silly with it).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm eying this bag but am unsure about the cross-body strap. I see how it looks like it's pulling the leather. Do you find it to be durable? It looks kind of flimsy to hold a bag of this size/weight (esp when filled). Would love your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm eying this bag but am unsure about the cross-body strap. I see how it looks like it's pulling the leather. Do you find it to be durable? It looks kind of flimsy to hold a bag of this size/weight (esp when filled). Would love your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! I have to confess that I don't use the cross-body strap very much. As with the original Pashli, the strap is attached at kind of a weird spot (on the back). I think it would be sturdier if it attached to the sides, or one side toward the front and the other toward the back (I have a couple Rebecca Minkoff bags like this and it works well).

      As is, when the bag is full, the positioning of the strap makes it front-heavy, so while I don't have concerns about the durability, it causes the bag to lean forward a little. This is less noticeable when the bag isn't full. Hope that is helpful!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing. I am on the hunt for a professional looking day bag to mark a special birthday and want to invest in a usable, stylish ans structured bag. Now that you've had the bag for some time, are there any regrets or recommendations? One must have is the bag should be easy to carry daily with make up and ipad and iphones at least; easy to open and reach into; remain structured when seated or empty; secure. Would you say the bag fits the bill?

    ReplyDelete