Monday, November 30, 2015

Holiday Cozy Outfit + J.Crew Chateau Parka Review + My Picks from the Best of Cyber Monday 2015

J Crew Chateau Parka Review
Coat: J.Crew | Sweater: J.Crew (40% off today with code MONDAY) | Denim: 7FAM (40% off today) | Boots: MICHAEL Michael Kors | Bag: Coach | Sunglasses: Karen Walker (part of Shopbop's Cyber Monday tiered promo with code GOBIG15) | Necklace: Slate + Earrings: Gorjana via Rocksbox | Watch: Michael Kors

Yesterday was a gray and chilly day in Denver, so Sean and I headed over to Union Station to get brunch and check out the pretty Christmas decorations. We braved the cold for a few photos but mostly stayed cozy inside. It was the perfect opportunity to test run my new Chateau Parka.

Cozy details

I've had this coat on my wishlist since last winter, and I waited and waited for it to go on sale as the $365 full price was a bit steep. Unfortunately, it never seems to be part of the percent-off promotions J.Crew often runs. I waited until they had a tiered promotion and went for it then. When it arrived, I was happy to see that the quality was similar to my other higher-end wool coats. There is some pretty topstitching on the zipper placket and all seams appear to be well-constructed.

I did find that there was a less expensive version of this coat at J.Crew Factory: the Vail Parka. I had the opportunity to try it on in person in regular sizing, and while the finishing wasn't quite as nicely done as it is on the retail version, and the wool isn't quite as heavy, it is still a very cute coat, and the price point is much more affordable. It is down to only $115 for select colors ($139 for the rest) today as part of their Cyber Monday deal.

Hello Framboise Holiday

I took my regular J.Crew coat/dress size, 00P, and it fit me as expected. I saw some reviews that advised to size down, but I disagree. The 00P was the right size for me, especially given that in cold temperatures, I want to be able to layer or wear bulkier sweaters under it. At 4'11", the petite sizing was the right choice for me, but if you're a couple inches taller, I'd consider trying this coat on in regular sizing to make sure the overall and sleeve length work for you.

Another common complaint I noted in reviews was that the body of the coat was "too big." The body is an A-line, swing coat shape and bells out at the bottom. For me, I liked the silhouette and found it looked flattering and different from my other wool coats. The swing shape and fur-trimmed hood were what ultimately convinced me that this piece would be something unique in my coat closet.

Cozy parka + turtleneck

Yesterday's temperatures only reached a high of 27°F/-3°C, and I was comfortable taking an evening walk in this coat with a chunky sweater underneath. I was lamenting my failure to bring mittens or gloves, but the front pockets kept my hands relatively warm despite a chilly wind. I was warm and dry even when a light snow began to fall, but heavier snow or wetter conditions would mean bringing out my water-resistant down coat or parka.

J Crew Chateau Parka Holiday

I'm so excited for decorating my house this week now that we've returned from our Thanksgiving weekend in the mountains. I am trying to get my shopping done as soon as I can to make the Christmas season as stress-free as possible. If your inbox looks anything like mine, making a plan for shopping today is a struggle. Here's my culled and curated list of Cyber Monday deals and my favorite pieces from each:

Hope you find some great deals and stay warm this Cyber Monday! x, Tam

4 comments:

  1. Obsessed with this coat. Wish it were part of the Cyber Monday sale at J Crew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too! Honestly, I would hold off until there's a tiered promotion again and go for it then. I love this coat, but the full price is not budget-friendly! J.Crew Factory also has its own version that is a third of the price: the Vail Parka. I've seen the Factory version in person, and it isn't quite as nicely finished as the retail one, but it's still very cute and affordable, and it comes in petite and regular sizing.

      Delete
  2. I could never figure out how to wear a light-blue coat, but you look amazing in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this coat! First I ordered it in navy, but I could not zip it all the way up without it digging into my chin. I returned it and bought a size up hoping that would fix the issue. Did you have trouble with the sizing? I ordered it in a 4P and exchanged it for a 6P in regal blue. Fingers crossed it fits.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Thanks for your comments!

If you don't wish to sign in to one of the account options, please feel free to email me your questions or comments by clicking "Contact" at the top of the page.

Please refrain from leaving your blog or giveaway link in the comments unless it's relevant to this post or discussion.